Re: Once you get Intuit you Can't Get Out

Subject: Re: Once you get Intuit you Can't Get Out
From: Stephen Victor <svictor -at- HOUSTON -dot- GEOQUEST -dot- SLB -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 09:49:41 -0600

Robert Plamondon wrote:

> If I were writing documentation for an application program, I would not
> instruct the reader in the details of inserting a CD into a CD-ROM drive.
> (This contradicts the "maximalism" school, which assumed that any program
> would be the first program the user every installed, and went into detail
> that would have made Og the Caveman a successful computer user. Too
> bad he wasn't in the target audience.)

If you were writing for a novice audience you might well need to
document inserting a CD into a drive. This is entirely separate from the
issues of minimalism versus "maximalism." Minimalism is the exacting art
of reducing your subject matter to its essentials. If after analyzing
your audience you determine that your subject matter includes inserting
a CD, then you (the hypothetical minimalist writer) will determine how
best to write that procedure in minimalist form.

Regards,
Steve
--
Stephen P. Victor Phone: (713) 513-2552
Technical Writer, Software Training Fax: (713) 513-2019