Demolishing generalizations

Subject: Demolishing generalizations
From: Fabien Vais <phantoms -at- ACCENT -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 09:31:18 -0500

Bravo, Iain Harrison, for demolishing yet another generalization!

Standards are only as good as the number of people who follow them. This is
why ISO 9000 standards came into existence. There is also the "handedness"
issue. I have seen flushing handles (or pushbuttons) in the middle on the
toilet tank. This way, there's no jealousy. And "up is on and down is off"
doesn't hold either. Many light switches are now pushbuttons - press to turn
on, and press again to turn off. For light switches, you really don't need
to SEE the switch to know whether the light is on!!

Finally, around where I live, a bar on the door usually means PUSH to exit,
while a handle is meant to PULL the door. So there you go...

Please watch the generalizations.

Fabien