You're Wrong! It's this way!

Subject: You're Wrong! It's this way!
From: TIMMERMAN <timmerma -at- IPDLINK -dot- IPD -dot- ANL -dot- GOV>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 16:02:45 CST

I just read a reply to a message that politely, but publicly, pointed
out that the original sender had made a mistake in terminology. I'm
sure many of us saw the mistake, understood the meaning, and forgot
about the mistake. I guess the nature of our profession turns us into
very critical people. However, I remember from my years as a teacher
that you should praise in public and punish in private. If this same
philosophy were to be used on this list, the last part of that
statement would read, "... correct in private." Have you ever
wondered why so few people out of the 2400+ that subscribe to this
list ever post anything? Have you noticed a significant drop in the
number of posting to this list in the last several months? I have,
and I'll do my best to remember and practice this philosophy.

Don Timmerman
dtimmerman -at- anl -dot- gov