Re: Contracting moral dilemma

Subject: Re: Contracting moral dilemma
From: Gurudutt Kamath/Technical Writing Centre <guruk -at- GIASBM01 -dot- VSNL -dot- NET -dot- IN>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 1997 22:04:32 +0530

Hello David!

I am rushing to reply to this moral dilemma. A fixed price contract is a
fixed price contract. Do not undercut yourself.

I remember being honest and refunding money. I remember reducing rates for
getting multiple contracts. But what does the client do -- simply reduce
your rates! If in a fixed price contract, the effort doubles, you will
rarely get paid more. At the most you will get 5 or 10% -- because the
client wants to squeeze more out of you. So please don't even think of it.

One of my clients, promised to pay me a measly Rs.10,000 extra for doing a
Translation Project (which I did as a "favour.). Then they forgot about it
-- despite repeated reminders. These very same clients, I refunded money,
gave them very good deals, lost contracts in Hong Kong/Singapore because
of inordinate delays, tolerated their late payments. I have told the
clients very clearly, until I get this due, I will not work for them
anymore. I have a whole lot of other clients now. For a small loss of
Rs.10,000 I have learnt a lesson. Hope you also learn from my experience.

Guru

guruk -at- giasbm01 -dot- vsnl -dot- net -dot- in
Go http://members.tripod.com/~Kamath
for column on Documentation, Internet, etc.
Technical Writing Centre, Mumbai