Depressed Clutches

Subject: Depressed Clutches
From: Daniel Wise <dewise -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 1997 14:00:04 -0800

Colleagues,

Someone commented that on some newer models of autos with manual transmissions
you have to press the clutch all the way to the floor before you can engage
the starter motor. My 10-year-old Toyota pickup has this feature. But then
my father's '30s vintage GM(?) car was built with the starter switch *under*
the clutch pedal. Thus, in a primitive sort of way, GM beat the rest of the
world by umpty-leven years.

This, BTW, is a great safety feature. If you have ever seen a novice driver
try to start a manual-drive car which is in gear, you know what I mean. I
have seen some fabulous bumper-crunchers happen this way.

Dan Wise
dewise -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com