Re: Insurance for Independent Contractors

Subject: Re: Insurance for Independent Contractors
From: Robert Plamondon <robert -at- PLAMONDON -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 1997 07:13:17 PST

Greg Drew writes:
>I am considering becoming an independent contractor/consultant, and have
>many questions. At the top of my list is health insurance. Working for a
>corporation, I get the benefit of good health insurance at a (fairly)
>reasonable price. However, if I go independent, I'm on my own. Are there
>any group plans available? Where can I find more info?

The prices corporations get are nothing special. If you tailor a
package to your particular needs, it'll probably cost less than a
one-size-fits-all corporate benefits package.

I got my insurance through a company that combines small business
consulting with insurance and financial services brokering.

In Oregon, at least, you can also get health coverage through the Chamber
of Commerce (if you join). The same is true of the National Writer's
Union, and maybe the STC (though the STC would no doubt feel compelled to
rename it a "Bodily Functionality Maintenence Program" to separate it
from the plebian concept of "Health Plan").

The world's full of health plans. Just read the fine print.

Tax tip: If you are a sole proprietor, a health plan in your name is
not fully deductible. If you employ your spouse, and adopt a policy
of providing a complete health-care package to your employees -- one
which covers their dependents and spouses -- then it's fully deductible
as a business expense. Weird, huh?

-- Robert
--
Robert Plamondon, High-Tech Technical Writing, Inc.
robert -at- plamondon -dot- com * (541) 453-5841 * Fax: (541) 453-4139