Re: Documentation Tracking and Version Control Software (#217066)

Subject: Re: Documentation Tracking and Version Control Software (#217066)
From: wburns -at- MICRON -dot- COM
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 1997 14:01:48 MST

Julie writes:

>If you are currently using software to handle your documentation tracking and
>version control, I would be interested in your feedback on the following
>questions:
>
>What tool are you using?

Saros DM and Mezzanine

>What is the cost of the tool?

Don't know specifically, but it ain't cheap. We also had to develop a workflow
system for approvals and end-user notifications.

>How long have you been using the tool?

Five months now. We're very pleased with its performance. Of course, they still
have to make it millenium bug-free, but they are working on that with their next
release.

>Is the tool easy to implement and use?

Can be. Depends on how you set up your libraries. Saros DM has a number of
features we never use.

>Are you satisfied with the tool? If not, are you looking at other tools? If so,
>which tools and why?
>
>If you are satisfied with the tool, please discuss the significant improvements
>this tool provides for documentation processes.

This database allows us to store any file type and view these
files with any browser we like. We've created search pages from
the web that allow us to use the document properties to query. The
properties themselves are stored in Sybase, so they can be used
with other databases to centralize information more effectively.

Hope this helps.

Bill Burns
Assembly Documentation Supervisor
wburns -at- micron -dot- com