Re: Click Language

Subject: Re: Click Language
From: "Kenneth M. Nuckols" <Knuck -at- BESTBUY -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 1997 11:10:22 -0600

>At 4:36 PM -0500 2/10/97, Amy Brown wrote:
>
>>Many of my users are not computer or Windows-proficient. Hence, I
>>substituted the phrase "click twice" for "double-click."

Amy,

I agree with Beth's comments that a "double-click" is a more precise term,
since the Operating System--be it Windows or the Mac system or presumably
OS/2--interprets two clicks within a specific period of time (usually a
fraction of a second) as a single action, the "double-click." If you give
your reader a glossary or define the term the first time you use it, they
should not be lost.

It's good to know your audience as you clearly do, but sometimes there is
real justification for using a "jargon" term in order to be precise. Just
be sure you help them bridge the gap between their knowledge and the new
term you need to teach them.

Ken
Kenneth Nuckols Corporate Trainer
Voice: (612) 947-2518 Best Buy Company, Inc.
FAX: (612) 996-4242 7075 Flying Cloud Drive
Eden Prarie, MN 55344

"I am YODA of Borg: Once you start down the path of
assimilation, forever will it control your destiny!"