Re: How not to attract jobs

Subject: Re: How not to attract jobs
From: Virginia Hayden/STL/MASTERCARD <Virginia_Hayden -at- MASTERCARD -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 10:20:42 EDT

Dave Whelan writes...
Re: How not to attract staff!
I agree with those who criticize the ad but I disagree with all this
criticism. I like seeing the constant trickle of job ads on the list and
want it to continue. Let all employers post job ads without criticism. If
you don't want the job, don't apply for it.
=============================

I thought the original posting to a list was by someone quoting an ad written
in the paper, not an ad posted on the list. So I don't think anyone was
criticizing an ad posted on the list.

Now that I've started, I have to agree with those who value having a life as
well as a job. I have worked in those situations with the tough deadlines and
the lack of resources, and I have put in my extra hours with the best of them.
Yes, the adrenaline was fun for awhile, but eventually we all ended up
functioning constantly in "crisis mode" (aka "reactive mode"), and we were not
always proud of the product that we developed in these circumstances. And too
often, what passed for very dedicated employees going beyond the call of duty,
was really a situation caused by poor planning, lack of organization, lack of
focus, and lack of direction. A certain amount of stress or adrenaline helps
the creative process and allows people to accomplish things beyond their
expectations, but I don't believe anyone functions well *continuously* in that
mode.

What I found rather offensive about the ad was that it implies that *only*
those people working like crazed madmen are producing quality work.

Virginia Hayden
Editor
Virginia_Hayden -at- MasterCard -dot- com