Microsoft Word Headers and the use of Styleref

Subject: Microsoft Word Headers and the use of Styleref
From: Noelle Conover <nconover -at- SGI -dot- NET>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 15:41:06 -0500

We are using Word 95 in a production environment for the creation of
Technical Programmer documentation of interfaces. I really thought
FrameMaker would be a better choice but I was instructed to use this
product (I am just the consultant).

The manual I have created has a style called "PhysicalName" which is the
actual name of each API that I document. I want the name of the API to
run in the header for each page and change as the API changes (There are
approximately 160 of them). To do this in Word, I used the Insert Field
command, inserting a StyleRef field called "PhysicalName" which matches
the style by the same name. The results are good on the first page
where the actual style is used. However, some of the subsequent pages
have the correct header and some do not - they simply are blank where
the API name (PhysicalName) is inserted.

Does anyone out there know how to get around this problem, short of
physically typing the API name on each page? Is there a bug in Word 95
headers? I can't seem to find any information on them! Thanks.
--
Noelle Conover