Re: TW Resumes: What to look 4?

Subject: Re: TW Resumes: What to look 4?
From: "Wayne J. Douglass" <wayned -at- VERITY -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 11:34:48 -0800

At 10:58 AM 2/19/97 -0500, Bruce Byfield wrote:

>But the proper length for a resume is very idiosyncratic. When I've used
>a short version, I've been told that I should have more detail; when
>I've used a long one, I've been told to cut it. I've taken to carrying
>two resumes, and asking which the interviewer prefers. Otherwise, it's a
>no-win situation.

That's because the advice keep changing. Once upon a time shorter was better
because you were aiming it at the busy hiring manager who waded through a
stack of resumes. Now that many companies are scanning resumes, conventional
wisdom suggests that longer is better. Load it up with the latest buzzwords
and every single techwriting tool you ever used (sort of like META tags in
HTML documents). That way your resume is more likely to pop up when some HR
type or perhaps the hiring manager does a search over the resume database.
The more hits the better, baby. I should know; I work for a search engine
company.

Ironically, I work right next door to the company whose software has
encouraged this nonsense: Resumix.

--Wayne Douglass