Re: TW Resumes: What to look 4?

Subject: Re: TW Resumes: What to look 4?
From: Tracy Boyington <tboyi -at- ODVTEWS1 -dot- OKVOTECH -dot- ORG>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 15:14:55 +0000

> I recall resumes being covered on this list previously, but I don't
> recall ever seeing posts asking for hiring manager expectations for
> technical writer resumes. So, a question to you technical writing
> managers out there: If I knew I was applying at a company that has its
> technical writing manager review resumes/hire writers, what should I put
> down, and what should I leave out? I presume that this would differ from
> how I would construct a resume if I knew that HR would be hiring, but
> maybe not?

Having just gone through this (I'm not a hiring manager, but I was on
a hiring committee), the one thing that astonished and disappointed
me was how few applicants tailored their resumes to the job. One
applicant's cover letter gave a bulleted list of our requirements
(from the ad) and how she met those requirements. That was nice, but
might be too salespersony for some. But it's better than asking
people to go through your resume with a fine-toothed comb looking for
the skills and experience they asked for -- which they probably won't
do. Especially when your resume is crammed full of unnecessary
trivia (children's names, spouse's job, high school clubs, summer
jobs from 30 years ago, etc.). More meat and less filler!

Tracy