Re: Interview questions

Subject: Re: Interview questions
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- EXPERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 11:10:34 -0800

>Megan E. McMacken asked:
>
>>...one of the favorite questions of all interviewers is,
>"Where do you see yourself in 5 years?"

I have to admit two things. First, this was a question I never
understood until I became a hiring manager. Second, I've
used the question a time or two in an interview myself.

I don't ask it all the time, but when I do, it's usually to try
to draw some sense of movement out of the interviewee. The answer
that I want reflects the interviewee's perception of where the
(in my case, software) industry is going, where current information-
delivery technology is going, and how the interviewee plans to keep
up with trends/changes. I want to see some ambition, some goals, some
incentive to improve skills.

So, when I ask the question, answer with:

"I expect to be more familiar with OO concepts"
"I expect to be delivering more and more information online and
less on paper"
"I expect to become more involved with user interface design"
"I'd like to be doing more multi-media information delivery"

Of course, an interviewee who talks like this without being
prompted never gets asked the question and is more likely to
get the job.

Susan W. Gallagher Manager, Technical Publications
sgallagher -at- expersoft -dot- com Expersoft Corporation, San Diego CA
http://www.expersoft.com