Re: Where Do You See Yourself in Five Years?

Subject: Re: Where Do You See Yourself in Five Years?
From: Robert Plamondon <robert -at- PLAMONDON -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 10:25:11 PST

Sue Gallagher writes:

>So, when I ask the question, answer with:

>"I expect to be more familiar with OO concepts"
>"I expect to be delivering more and more information online and
>less on paper"
>"I expect to become more involved with user interface design"
>"I'd like to be doing more multi-media information delivery"

Well, these answers will certainly keep you from standing out from the
rest of the herd. Personally, though, I find it annoying when people
define their future careers in terms of the industry trends du jour.
Such answers boil down to:

"I expect to do exactly the same thing I'm doing now, except that I'll
be using the skills du jour of five years from now instead of the skills
du jour du jour."

Personally, I recommend that you reveal any actual long-term career goals
that you may have. If you are interested in learning project management,
becoming a manager, or picking up some customer skills and going free-lance,
I think you should say so. This will keep insecure or domineering managers
from extending a job offer to you, which is a Very Good Thing. Good
managers approve of ambition (in fact, this is one of the fundamental
tests of management.)

-- Robert
--
Robert Plamondon, High-Tech Technical Writing, Inc.
robert -at- plamondon -dot- com * (541) 453-5841 * Fax: (541) 453-4139