k vs. K (Was: Facts about the Win NT/PowerPC story)

Subject: k vs. K (Was: Facts about the Win NT/PowerPC story)
From: Maynard Hogg <maynard -at- GOL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 18:21:12 +0900

William=E -dot- =NewkirkPubsGenAv -dot- Mlb -at- RODES -dot- CCA -dot- ROCKWELL -dot- COM wrote:

>1 GHz = 1000 MHz = 1000000 kHz (small k to avoid confusion with K=1024
>folks).

How established is this convention of using K to mean 1024? (instead
of Kelvin <g>)

I've noticed that Byte contributors aren't in agreement.

A certain well-known Japanese consumer electronics company that I
translate chip manuals for insists on this k/K distinction, but then
turns around and uses a typically Japanese abbreviation for kilobyte:
Kbyte.

The Japanese also have a habit of writing KHz. I *assume* that they
mean 1,000 Hz. <g>

===

|\^/| Maynard Hogg
_|\| |/|_ #306, 4-30-10 Yoga, Setagaya-ku, Tokyo, Japan 158
> < Fax: +81-3-3700-7399
>_./|\._< Internet: maynard -at- gol -dot- com
Unsolicited commercial electronic mail sent to this address will be
proofread at a cost of US$200/hour (half-hour minimum).