Re: Resume screening

Subject: Re: Resume screening
From: "Eric J. Ray" <ejray -at- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 06:28:12 PST

--- On Fri, 21 Feb 1997 00:03:20 PST Robert Plamondon <robert -at- PLAMONDON -dot- COM> wrote:

>Eric writes:
>
>>* Resumes or cover letters with mispelled words were out.
>>* Resumes or cover letters with grammatical errors were out.
>
>These are dangerous rules, as they assume that all good writers are
>perfect self-editors. I know I'm not -- I cannot guarantee that
>ANY work of mine is letter-perfect, since my view of the actual
>work is obscured by its representation in my mind.

No, they assume that good writers who want the job will
take the time and effort to get it right. (BTW, I'd probably
personally lean toward the suggestions others made of allowing one past, but
balking at more than one. My boss at the job in question would
have round-filed all with one mistake, so I flagged them before
she did.)

Actually, my approach to targeted resumes consists of
creating a truly monolithic resume that includes as close
to everything that I can come up with. I proof that one rigorously
and get everyone I can to proof it. Then, to target it,
I cut, copy and paste to my heart's content. I'm also
a lousy self-editor, but if I'm working with polished
little info blocks, I can reshuffle those without
supervision. ;-)

Eric