Re: Re[2]: Resume Scrn. Comments & Question -Reply

Subject: Re: Re[2]: Resume Scrn. Comments & Question -Reply
From: Bill Sullivan <bsullivan -at- SMTPLINK -dot- DELTECPOWER -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 13:09:10 -0800

I seem to have wandered into the middle of this, but I vote for what
Don Smith and Tracy Boyington say. Just let me write, folks. I don't
want none of your stinking "promotions."

Don Smith said:

> Comment: (Re-"Where do you expect to be in 5 years?")

> I *like* what I do! I have been Publications Department Manager
> (elsewhere), I have been General Manager of a company (also,
> elsewhere). I like what I do now, which is writing technical
> electronics manuals, articles, books, etc.. I *don't want to be
upward
> mobile". Is there something wrong with this? Does this make me a
less
> desirable Technical Writer? (I know, I use caps for TW.) IF so,
why?

> How do you say this to the interview who expects you to say you
will
> have their job in 5 years?

Don, I have the same problem. I don't want to be on the other side of
the desk. Quite honestly, it would be the seventh level of hell for
me. You just have to figure out what you _do_ want to be doing in 5
years. Do you want more experience on certain kinds of projects? Do
you want to become proficient in certain tools? Are there things you
don't do yet that you *do* want to do (such as training, designing
web pages, programming, whatever)? I don't to be promoted into
management, but there are lots of other things out there that you can
discuss in an interview and still look like you've put some thought
into the future. Who knows, maybe they'll be relieved that you don't
want their job.

Tracy

Tracy Boyington tracy_boyington -at- okvotech -dot- org
Oklahoma Department of Vocational & Technical Education
Stillwater,
Oklahoma,
USA
http://www.okvotech.org/cimc/home.htm
message to 2500+ readers, e-mail to TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU -dot-
Send commands
browse the archives at
http://listserv.okstate.edu/archives/techwr-l.html
Send list questions or problems to the listowner at