Re: Question for Canadian TW's

Subject: Re: Question for Canadian TW's
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- AXIONET -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 21:05:26 -0500

Sabahat Ashraf <sabahat_ashraf -at- MENTORG -dot- COM> wrote:

>I bin wondering: what the situation is with respect to hiring
>foreigners/immigrants as tech writers.

Strange--this is at least the third message on the subject I've read
this week.

I'm only guessing, but I wouldn't think there was a problem if you are
an American citizen or have resident alien status. Free trade is
supposed to allow professionals to move and work between the US and
Canada.

I can also tell you that, in the Vancouver area, tech-writing is
booming--maybe because we're less than 200 k from Redmond?
At any rate, I know lots of people locally who work only on contract and
can pick and choose their work. Even with only a year's experience, I've
had to turn down at least four contracts in the last month.

>I hear it is next to impossible for foreign medical graduates >to get work in Canada.

It depends a lot on which country. I don't think that English or
American medical graduates have any problem, but I know that Italian
ones do, for some reason. I think it has something to do with
accreditation standards--and I know that a lot of immigrants to Canada
are upset about it. The best thing would be to talk to the local
Canadian consulate.

--
Bruce Byfield (bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com)
Technical Writer