Re: Cost of STC

Subject: Re: Cost of STC
From: Mitch Berg <mberg -at- IS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 07:35:24 -0600

Wing, Michael J wrote:

> $100 + event charges
> (such as meals) is $100 or more regardless of what Nurses, Engineers,
> Doctors, or Janitors pay to their cartels! If I can only afford 100k
> for a house and the house I'm interested in is 125k, what do I care if
> the other houses are all over 200k?

From what I've seen, STC dues, while not "cheap", are well in line with
other organizations in similar areas: price out the ACM (especially with
memberships to one of the SIGs, like SIGDOC or SIGCHI), or UPA, or HFES.

Also - while many of you have mentioned the (usually outrageous) meal
costs, aren't they usually optional? I mean, in the Twin Cities'
chapter it's $16/meal, but you CAN go for the program only. I network
like crazy, and have NEVER paid for a meal.