Interviewing Skills

Subject: Interviewing Skills
From: "Dennis Hays/The Burden Lake Group, Ltd." <dlhays -at- EARTHLINK -dot- NET>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 22:18:17 -0500

I used to be an international recruiter for a fairly large company. I hired
technical people for positions at other companies and had to take them to a
Technical Confirmation Appointment, where the client would interview them
regarding their technical proficiency. Prior to entering the client's
offices, I would talk to the candidates to settle their nerves and explain
the "Yes, and..." "No, but..." method of interviewing.

When an interviewer asks you about some skill you have, respond with "Yes,
and...":

Interviewer: "Do you have a background in quantum physics?

Interviewee: "Yes, I do. I have a MA in Astrophysics from Bahamas State and
I've studied cake decorating with Betty Crocker, as well."

The odds are in your favor that the interviewer will ask the next question
from your answer.

However, if the interviewer asks about a skill you don't have, respond with
"No, but...".

Interviewer: "Has any of your writing been published in the Pahokee Press?"

Interviewee: "No, but I've co-authored three articles about Inter-Cranial
Hematomas in the New England Journal of Medicine."

Again, the next question will probably come from your answer. What's
important here is to allow the interviewer to see your skills and to have
the interviewer follow your lead. It's better than saying "No, I never
studied English." and letting your answer lay there like three-day-old fish.

Dennis

Dennis Hays
The Burden Lake Group, Ltd.
Telephone: (518) 477-6388