Resumes and Perfection

Subject: Resumes and Perfection
From: John Fisher <fisher -at- EPIC -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 10:19:54 -0800

I've finally been drawn into this discussion. When I
am in a hiring position, I reject out-of-hand resumes
with mistakes in them; typos or otherwise. It's not
because I'm looking for a writer who needs no proofing
or editing. I'm looking for a particular mindset.

In my view, your resume is the most important tool you
have when you are shopping for a job. Until you interview,
it *is* you to the prospective employer. (Discussions of
networking aside, please.) Therefore, if an applicant
has less regard for his or her most important tool
in applying for a job than to ensure it is perfect, what
level of care are they going to invest in my company's
document suite?

And, please, don't you think the idea (as has been
proposed here) that it's not possible to produce a
"perfect" resume is absurd?

I hope my tone is not too sharp. It's not meant to be.
To all of those out there with whom I agree, you are
correct (in a most self-evident way), and to those
with whom I disagree, well, er, ah...you have the
right to be wrong on occasion.

John Fisher
fisher -at- epic -dot- com