Re(2): Smash the Apophistry!

Subject: Re(2): Smash the Apophistry!
From: "Ridder, Fred" <ridderf -at- DIALOGIC -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 20:31:56 -0500

Marlene J. Geary wrote:

>Our company has already decided to phase out the usage of an
>apostrophe where a letter or word for its own sake is pluralized:
> we'll have lots of Gs here today
>or where an abbreviation is capitalized:
> the advent of PCs in the workplace

Be careful with this convention if you do government/military
work. The last time I looked at Mil spec standards (which was
admittedly some years ago, thank God...) they were very specific
that plurals of abbreviations and acronyms must be formed by
appending an apostrophe as well as an "s". Personally, I think
that convention is stupid and archaic, but if one risks losing a
government contract because of omitted apostrophes I think one
would have to make the smart (i.e. stupid) choice.

Fred Ridder (ridderf -at- dialogic -dot- com)
Senior Technical Writer
Dialogic Corporation
Parsippany, NJ