Typos: Summary

Subject: Typos: Summary
From: Documania <dcma -at- MAIL1 -dot- NAI -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 17:59:58 -0500

After reading all the posts on the subject, I've come to the conclusion
that we're _all_ right!

I joined this list to learn what technical writing is all about. (For those
who haven't figured it out yet, I'm not a technical writer and probably
never will be.) The various essays on the topics of typos/resumes/writing
for a living (etc.) have demonstrated clearly what it's all about. I am
pleased to see how much passion can be generated on important subjects.
Thanks to everyone who has contributed; I hope you have learned as much as
I have.

Of course, my own opinion remains unchanged. It is, however, now based on a
much broader understanding.

Someone who expressed my opinion much better than I have is Confucius. Here
is the quote I keep on my wall:

"Asked what he would undertake first,
Were he called upon to rule a nation,
Confucius replied: 'To correct language . . .
If language is not correct,
Then what is said is not what is meant,
Then what ought to be done remains undone;
If this remains undone, morals and art will deteriorate;
If morals and art deteriorate, justice will go astray;
If justice goes astray,
The people will stand about in helpless confusion.
Hence there must be no arbitrariness in what is said.
This matters above everything.'"

Taken from MOKUSATSU by Heathcote Williams
Whole Earth Review, Winter 1988

Carolyn Haley
DocuMania
dcma -at- ct1 -dot- nai -dot- net