RRE: Academic Pomposity

Subject: RRE: Academic Pomposity
From: Daniel Wise <dewise -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 21:36:58 -0600

Colleagues,

Robert P. commented on the awful, pompous, stuffy, dense style adopted by
many academics. I received a sample copy a couple of years ago of a
scholarly journal for the technical communication field. I believe it was
produced at Iowa State, but I may be mistaken. I disposed of the sample
copy (no, I did not subscribe) when I got rid of a lot of stuff I had been
hoarding for years. This was one of the stuffiest and most pompous journals
I have ever seen. I queried the editor and was told something to the effect
that this style was "expected" in scholarly journals.

This volume was a better sleeping pill than David Copperfield or The Dead
Sea Scrolls.

Dan Wise
dewise -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com