Re: Remembered Headlines

Subject: Re: Remembered Headlines
From: Daniel Wise <dewise -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 23:25:39 -0600

Colleagues,

I think this is appropriate to that big, bold headline in the novice's cover
letter. I can't remember who said it, but it was a business executive
speaking to our college business club.

"Only two classes of people are remembered in this world: the outstandingly
good and the outstandingly bad. Therefore, if you must make a mistake, make
sure you screw things up royally!"

Yes, you may remember that headline for day, months, or years. Yes, it did
it's job. But you remember it negatively. You may even tell a whole lot of
your friends what a twinkie this guy is. Bad news for the novice.

Sort of like the little sparrow who burrows into a fresh, warm horse apple
to keep from freezing and is so comfy he starts singing. This attracts the
attention of a passing cat, who proceeds to eat the bird. Sometimes it just
doesn't pay to be noticed. (Sanitized version)

Dan Wise
dewise -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com