ATTN: STC Chapter Newsletter Editors

Subject: ATTN: STC Chapter Newsletter Editors
From: Bill Sullivan <bsullivan -at- SMTPLINK -dot- DELTECPOWER -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 1997 08:11:14 -0800

Dear Editor,

If you need articles, why not announce that to TECHWR-L? TECHWR-L is
populated by dozens if not hundreds of tech writers who know their
jobs and who don't hesitate to share their knowledge. If you announce
your need for articles, maybe a TECHWR-L poster will step forward to
help you.

If you see a TECHWR-L post that impresses you, you could also write
to the author and see if the post can be made into an article for
your newsletter.

To those who are TECHWR-L posters but not newsletter editors: If you
post something you think is good, why not consider making it into an
article that a newsletter editor can publish? It could make a nice
credit for your resume, and the article could get picked up by a
larger publication, and, if you were really ambitious, you could
accumulate your articles into a whole book on some aspect of
technical writing some day.

For my STC volunteer activity in the chapter year that began last
September, I decided I would take some of my TECHWR-L posts and
transform them into articles for the newsletter. About the same time,
I was in the middle of an exchange of off-line posts with a chapter
newsletter editor in another state. I offered my articles to him, and
he said yes, by all means, send them along. One of my articles was
picked up by InterCom magazine, and who knows what will happen
tomorrow?

More recently, I have expanded my network of editors to a couple of
other chapters. I have found an enthusiastic market out there, and I
hope that more of us, editors and writers, can get together.