Re: Looking for Graphics Editing package (#117051)

Subject: Re: Looking for Graphics Editing package (#117051)
From: Paul Branchaud <paul -at- VEDGE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 1997 16:29:55 -0500

On Tue, 4 Mar 1997 rbickham -at- MICRON -dot- COM wrote:

> Try using PaintShop Pro. The new version, 4.0, does not work on NT 3.51, but
> may work on NT 4.0 (I haven't tried it yet). I think you can still download the
> old version of PaintShop Pro, version 3 something, from the internet. It is a
> pretty cheap program but works quite well. Here is the URL
> http://www.digitalworkshop.co.uk:80/psp.htm

Randy et al,

I use PaintShop Pro on a regular basis. It is very high on my swear by and
very low on my swear at list. :) After pretty much "abusing" the
evaluation copy of PSP, I convinced the powers that be to purchase two
copies of PSP: 3.1 and 4.1. The 3.1 version is to be installed on any
machine running Win 3.X (including NT 3.51). Version 4.1 is for Win95 or
NT 4.0.

I like the layout and toolbar placement of 4.1, but I prefer the
functionality of the 3.1 tools (especially the cloning tool--baaa!). You
can work with any kind of image depth, from 1-bit (B&W) to 24-bit (16
million colors). For the money ($69!), I doubt you will be able to find a
more flexible and powerful image tool.

One nit: when you install 3.1 on NT 3.51, you get 7 error messages,
informing you that specific .FLT files are not valid Windows NT images.
We can thank Microsoft for this problem. The PSP support people told me
that this problem has been around ever since MS made NT Service Pack 3
available. NT tries to read the import filters as images and balks. The
filters still work, but it's a pain to click OK 7 times before starting
the program...

You can disable the import filters by choosing Preferences->General from
the File menu; deselect the "Use Aldus-Compatible Import Filters" from the

Anyhoo, that's probably WAY more than anyone wanted to know about
PaintShop Pro... Get it, it's worth the money!

Paul