web page style

Subject: web page style
From: Miki Magyar <mdm0857 -at- MCDATA -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 13:11:18 -0700

Michael Barwick says, " I want to have an iron-tight case for
incorporating it into my style guide."

Sorry, not possible. The best you can do is get lots of support from
Recognized Authorities (published style guides) and opinions from
Experts in the Field (us) to bolster your case. But style guides are simply
collections of editorial decisions, and have no weight beyond custom and
convention.

I agree with you (add another tally mark to the Expert Opinion list) that
spelling out numbers under ten is 'correct', except when they are part of
a technical term, like "8-character name".

Incidentally, I like 'iron-tight'- let's add it to the collection. A conflation of
'iron-clad' and 'water-tight', I assume.

Miki
mikim -at- mcdata -dot- com
Sweeping generalizations are always a mistake.