No Smokers Wanted in Houston (was: Tech Writers Wanted...)

Subject: No Smokers Wanted in Houston (was: Tech Writers Wanted...)
From: Patrice Poutre <patrice -at- EPIC -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 16:11:53 -0800

Deborah Silvi posted a job opening at the request
of her employer:

> Information Developer...

The last requirement was:

> Must be a non-smoker.

Is this requirement enforceable? I live in
California and find this requirement strange.
For one thing, it has been illegal to smoke
in the workplace for quite a while now.

It's common to find that just about anywhere,
smoking indoors is prohibited. In some cities,
this includes bars. Recently, the Berkeley
City Council banned smoking outside at sidewalk
cafes.

Are the laws as strict in Texas as they are
here in California? If not, is this requirement
necessary because the company is promoting a
smoke-free workplace? Even so, smokers could
smoke outside - they can use "designated smoking
areas" outside.

For another thing, I just don't see how being
a smoker would affect the employee's ability
to perform his or her job functions (unless ten-
minute cigarette breaks were taken every five
minutes).

Any opinions otherwise?

(BTW... I am a non-smoker.)

I apologize if some readers don't feel as if
this post is related directly to technical
writing, but it is something that relates
directly to "workplace etiquette" at the
very least. We are all exposed to it. Whether
we choose to practice it or not is another
issue. :)

And Deborah, I hope I don't sound like I'm
flaming you - I'm mostly just curious.

Patrice
patrice -at- epic -dot- com