Advice, anyone? Zip drive glitch

Subject: Advice, anyone? Zip drive glitch
From: Eric Brown <eric_brown -at- SFU -dot- CA>
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 1997 17:46:00 -0800

Seems that one of my Zip disks (Mac type) has gone south today. I can
insert the disk in the Zip drive, but the drive then goes into an endlessly
repeating cycle of click-whir, click-whir. The disk never shows up on the
desktop and the Mac has to be restarted. There's no Norton-type solution as
far as I can see, since I can't even mount the disk in the drive.

Losing the data is bad enough, but no tragedy in this case. Everything was
backed up elsewhere. My concern is that this happened with no warning and I
can't isolate a cause. Dozens of client projects going back eighteen months
are backed up on Zip disks.

Does anyone know whether this is common? Is the disk recoverable? Is the
fault in my drive or with the disk? Iomega's tech support is hopeless...