can Acrobat files be edited?

Subject: can Acrobat files be edited?
From: Eric Brown <eric_brown -at- SFU -dot- CA>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 08:49:40 -0800

Adobe Acrobat experts:
A client has brought me this question (and they expect me to know the
answer, of course!), so I'm hoping that one of you can help me.

They're considering CD-ROM and Web distribution of their academic papers.
One of them has 'heard' that Acrobat files can be converted to RTF via some
shareware utility. The thought has spooked them -- they're very fearful of
plagiarism.

Does anyone know of such a utility -- or whether the idea is even possible?
Or is there a better solution than Acrobat? Thanks in advance.

Eric Brown (eric_brown -at- sfu -dot- ca)