Re: Newsl article re: The TECHWR-L List

Subject: Re: Newsl article re: The TECHWR-L List
From: Jane Bergen <janeb -at- ANSWERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 13:20:19 -0600

At 01:29 PM 3/10/97 -0400, Mary Jean Fitzgibbons wrote:
>I would like to point out that copyright issues do exist
>WRT posting e-mail to discussion lists or Usenet news groups.
>
>Check out the "Copyright Website" at http://www.benedict.com/
>and in particular, look under Source Documents and Resources
>for the "10 Big Myths about Copyright Explained" by Brad Templeton.
>
>All messages posted via e-mail are copyrighted and are not
>automatically in the public domain. Issues of "implied license"
>and "fair use" also can be taken into consideration, however.

I'm not sure this web site is the "last word" on copyright... I read
several of its articles. While interesting, I think it will take a Supreme
Court decision to make me believe that posting a message in a public forum
(newsgroup) or mailing list (techwr-l) coule be copyrighted. As for
publishing the messages with attributions of who said what...that makes it
even less of an issue. It's like citing your sources... much like quoting a
source when you write a research paper.

The bottom line is this: if you are paranoid over who will read your mail,
don't post it. Seriously. A little common sense goes a long way.

My two cents worth,

Jane

Jane Bergen, Technical Writer
AnswerSoft, Inc. Dallas, TX