Printing Process (long question)

Subject: Printing Process (long question)
From: "Andrea G. Kenner" <agkenner -at- EROLS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 20:09:35 -0800

I would like to ask your help in solving a problem we are having with
the printing of our documentation.

We produce five 100-page manuals in Word 6. Each manual contains a
large number of screen shots taken from a system that runs in Windows
3.1. When we print the original copy of our manuals on our HP 4 printer
(600 dpi), the screen shots look fine. The problem arises when we try
to reproduce our manuals on a high-speed photocopier. The screen shots
in the resulting copies are barely readable. (We are currently using
Paint Shop Pro to create the screen shots.)

We worked with a printing vendor who advised us to convert our documents
to PageMaker and then to a PostScript file that could be imported into
their printing system. However, this suggestion met with a lot of
resistance among our team members after one of us did a brief trial of
PageMaker and found it quite difficult to use.

Up until now, the printer has done the PageMaker conversion for us, and
has made numerous last-minute changes to the final copy, at great cost
to us. We were recently told that the cost is prohibitive, and we are
being forced to use our in-house print shop to produce our final
documentation. I really don't feel that they have the necessary
equipment or expertise to produce the level of quality we need for our
external customers.

We are willing to spend money on a solution, but we don't want to throw
money randomly at possible solutions that will not work for us. We
don't really know if our problem could be solved by hardware, software,
or some combination of the two.

I would be interested in hearing from people who have solved this
problem (or a similar one) and who would be interested in sharing their
experience with us. I can provide more detailed information if you're
interested.

Thank you,

--
Andrea Kenner (agkenner -at- erols -dot- com)
MORNETPlus Training and Documentation