Re: TECHWR-L Digest - 9 Mar 1997 to 10 Mar 1997

Subject: Re: TECHWR-L Digest - 9 Mar 1997 to 10 Mar 1997
From: "Paul Telega (CBN)" <telega -at- LENTI -dot- MED -dot- UMN -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 10:57:23 -0600

> >We produce five 100-page manuals in Word 6. Each manual contains a
> >large number of screen shots taken from a system that runs in Windows
> >3.1. When we print the original copy of our manuals on our HP 4 printer
> >(600 dpi), the screen shots look fine. The problem arises when we try
> >to reproduce our manuals on a high-speed photocopier. The screen shots
> >in the resulting copies are barely readable. (We are currently using
> >Paint Shop Pro to create the screen shots.)

Andrea, it seems to me that your sceen shots are just fine--as
evidenced by your HP4 outputs. This means that all your software is OK.
The problem is in the resolution of the final output device. Most
printshops that use photocopiers have resolutions of only 300DPI dots per
inch), while your HP4 has a 600DPI resolution.
This translates into very roughly 120 levels of gray for 600dpi,
but only 30 levels of gray for 300dpi output device. You can check this
out by setting your HP4 to print at 300dpi and look at the results.
IF they are the same as the printshop, then your problem is the output
device.

Suggestions:
1. Try increasing the contrast in your screenshots
so that fewer gray levels are needed. Try setting PSP to 16 colors and
adjust the colors/grays so that everything is easily readable--then test
print at 300DPI.
2. Look for a printshop that can print at 600dpi.