Re: Getting the programmers to come to you

Subject: Re: Getting the programmers to come to you
From: "Diane L. Thompson" <magicmom -at- VH -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 15:26:23 -0500

At 02:28 PM 3/12/97 -0400, you wrote:

>Is anyone else on the list bewildered by the fact that so many of us
>suggest that we actually BRIBE programmers to do what should be part
>of their job and give us the info we need to document the software?
> Isn't it the job of management to instill a higher value of
> documentation into programmers/developers and construct processes
> that implement it? Aren't we just re-enforcing programmers'
> lackadaisical attitude when it comes to working WITH tech writers by
> coddling them with snacks?
Or am I just in the wrong profession? :-)

Having worked both sides of this fence, I have found a gender issue to be
involved. This may have to do with the fact that most women are more
language oriented and more men are spatially oriented. I never had a problem
adding to or completing my documentation as a programmer but getting the
male programmers to do theirs was a bear. They seem to think that once the
program is written it is no longer an issue. And, if bribery works, I am all
for it.
http://www.vh.net/~lock/index.html
http://www.vh.net/~lock/MagicMom.html