Re: Newsl article re:copyright -Reply

Subject: Re: Newsl article re:copyright -Reply
From: Bill Sullivan <bsullivan -at- SMTPLINK -dot- DELTECPOWER -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 12:31:20 -0800

>>> Tracy Boyington <tboyi -at- odvtews1 -dot- okvotech -dot- org> - 3/12/97 5:51 AM
>>>
> Besides, I believe that most copyright laws tend to deal with
> comerical ventures or profit making activities. If an instructor
> wants to make 20 photocopies for a class, I think copyright
> hassels are an invasion of a basic right to desiminate information
> freely. However, it would be a different matter if an instructor
> made 20 unauthorized copies of a book .

What an interesting way of looking at the law. What is it OK to copy
20 times? An article? A chapter from a book? So size is what really
matters? If someone makes 20 copies of a poem or an article, it's OK,
but a book is a different matter?

> However, if I wrote a novel or a
> poem, I would be outraged by someone else "stealing" it.

But what if they only wanted to make 20 copies for a class? You just
said that was OK. Are you now saying that you would hassle them over
it?

> I raised this issue in the first place because I think its a gray
area that
> needs some discussion. How many of you would care if someone made a
few copies or a few hundred
> copies of a manual that your company had paid you to write.

It doesn't matter whether you or I care or not. It's up to the
copyright owner -- and in many (or most) cases that's not the writer.
And educational "free use" policies are not as lenient as you think.

Tracy

Tracy Boyington tracy_boyington -at- okvotech -dot- org
Oklahoma Department of Vocational & Technical Education
Stillwater,
Oklahoma,
USA
http://www.okvotech.org/cimc/home.htm
message to 2500+ readers, e-mail to TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU -dot-
Send commands
browse the archives at
http://listserv.okstate.edu/archives/techwr-l.html
Send list questions or problems to the listowner at