Proven Readability Styles

Subject: Proven Readability Styles
From: Diane Burke <dburke -at- RIGEL -dot- TYDAC -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 12:06:02 +0000

Hi All,

I am a new member and this is my first request for
information. From what I have been able to observe so far, there
seems to be a lot of expertise, experience and strong opinions
out there and I hope to draw some of that my way.

I am looking for information on proven readability styles and
standards for hard copy documentation manuals. I see these things
referenced occasionally. For example, the best font
for readability is supposed to be Times Roman and I have seen
references for an optimal line length (measured in number of
words). Are there optimal standards for page size, margins...?

Is anyone aware of sources for this type of information?

Diane Burke
Technical Writer

--
Diane Burke
TYDAC Research Inc.

613-226-5525, Ext. 202
dburke -at- tydac -dot- com

"No bird soars too high, if he soars with his own wings."
-- William Blake