Re: appears vs is displayed

Subject: Re: appears vs is displayed
From: Diane Burke <dburke -at- RIGEL -dot- TYDAC -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 1997 09:39:55 +0000

Robin M. Allen wrote:
>Hi ya'll:
>
>I'm in the middle of a raging debate among several tech writers
>about
>the use of "appears" vs "is displayed," e.g.:
>
>"Click Add and the Add Patient window is displayed."
>vs
>"Click Add and the Add Patient window appears."
>
>Even though it uses the passive voice, I personally prefer "is
>displayed." To me, "appears" sounds like it happens through
>magic. Any
>thoughts?

I agree. We are not pulling a rabbit out of a hat. Neither does
anything disappear. It closes. Why not just: "Click Add. The Add
Patient window displays."

--
Diane Burke
TYDAC Research Inc.

613-226-5525, Ext. 202
dburke -at- rigel -dot- tydac -dot- com

"No bird soars too high, if he soars with his own wings."
-- William Blake