Novel Writing as an Asset

Subject: Novel Writing as an Asset
From: Documania <dcma -at- MAIL1 -dot- NAI -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 15:35:30 -0600

For what it's worth:

The resume I use for editorial and desktop publishing/word processing jobs
includes, under the heading Related Experience: "Creative writing: three
novels, assorted essays."

Every single person who has called me for an interview has asked about the
novels with great interest. In fact, in 9 out of 10 cases, it has been the
first question!

Only twice has anyone considered me a potential writer for their company.
And I have never received so much as a nibble from any company to which I
have applied for a writing position of any kind.

As it happens, I write tolerably well but (as recently expressed on this
list) decided against pursuing a career as a writer. It takes me too long
to write even simple pieces, and I can't write for the duration of a work
day, day after day after day. Brain just doesn't work that way. Because of
this, I have no writing samples to use other than novel chapters or
vituperative essays I have sent to publications -- none of which I feel are
appropriate to use when applying for a commercial position such as tech
writer.

By the way, the subject of novel writing might have interested a potential
employer enough to call me in, but it has never, to my knowledge, played in
a decision to hire me as an editor or desktop publisher. In fact, I remain
in greatest demand as a high-speed typist who can spell, and can operate
whatever computer system you hand her.

Carolyn Haley
DocuMania
dcma -at- ct1 -dot- nai -dot- net