Registered (R)

Subject: Registered (R)
From: "Dennis Hays/The Burden Lake Group, Ltd." <dlhays -at- EARTHLINK -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 18:30:41 -0500

I'm in the process of drafting a style manual for the company where I
contract and would like some help. I looked up references to both using the
copyright symbol (C) and the Trademark (TM) symbol. The Chicago Manual of
Style was definitive in explaining the use of both. However, either I
couldn't find references to the "Circle-R" (R) for Registered, or there
were none. Is the use of this symbol identical to the (TM), such that I
should use the symbol initially and then not in text (however, if there is
a graphic of the item, then use the symbol) with the usual disclaimer
either in parenthesis or footnote/end note, or must it be used with every
instance?

Thanks for any assist and if you have reference for this, would you please
let me know?

Dennis

Dennis Hays
The Burden Lake Group, Ltd.