Re: Adobe PageMill

Subject: Re: Adobe PageMill
From: Dennis Meier <boisemeier -at- EXECU -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 07:25:29 -0600

On Tue, 22 Apr 1997 11:43:24 EDT Emily Leavitt/Shiva Corporation
<eleavitt -at- SHIVA -dot- COM> wrote:
<snip>
>Has anyone used Adobe PageMill? If so, what do you think? It is used for HTML
>conversions and maintenance.

I've recently been trying out both MS FrontPage and the beta version of
Adobe PageMill 2.0 (which is a free download from www.adobe.com.) After a
couple of week's of sporadic use, I'd say that FrontPage has more extensive
capabilities (including a pretty nice graphics program), but that Adobe
PageMill can be put to productive use much more quickly. I'm not 100% sure,
but I think both are priced about the same: in the neighborhood of $99-$150,
depending on where you buy it.

Adobe PageMill is a shade more intuitive for people who have used browsers
for some time, but there are some quirky metaphors that just don't click for
me. For example, to set the background color for a page you use a tool
called the "Inspector" to set this attribute. I still don't get that name.

MS FrontPage, on the other hand, seems overburdened with features. Since I'm
a novice web site developer, I hope this perception goes away with time, but
it seems that everything is much complicated than it needs to be.