permission to quote

Subject: permission to quote
From: "Kyle, Charles" <STAMFORD/EISPO1/CKYLE%EIS_International -at- MCIMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 1997 13:04:00 -0500

To TechWr List,
I've sent two offline email msgs t o members of the List requesting
permission to use
opinion \ info they provided on this list. So far I have not received a
response (which could stem from
a problem with my company's mail gateway). Anyway, I'm sending this to the
list in hopes that these folks will respond.
Thanks,
Charlie Kyle.

Amy Smith, Tom Obenchain, John Gough, & Jim Purcell;

I have enclosed a copy of an article I'm writing for the Central
Connecticut STC Chapter newsletter. In
the article I use a quotation from you that appeared on the TechWr List
sometime around 2/18-25/97. I'd
like to use your name, position, and company name. I don't have that
information for everyone, so please
supply it if necessary; or let me know if you don't want your name or
company name (or your words) used.

Name; Position; Company
Amy Smith; ? ; Fidelity Investments
Tom Obenchain; Technical Communications Lead; MCI Telecommunications
John Gough; ?; ?
Jim Purcell; ? ; Microsoft

I've already had requests for copies of the article for a web site and
another STC newletter. I am requesting that
anyone who wants to reproduce the article should ask permission first.

Charlie Kyle
CKYLE%eis_international -at- mcimail -dot- com
EIS Systems
Stamford, CT USA

203-977-6007

email.

Resumes and What Managers Look For

A recent thread on the TechWr List explored resumes and what hiring managers
look for. Some members of the list indicated that they are ready to send
their resume out in any of a number of formats including Word, FrameMaker,
HTML, WinHelp, and ASCII. However, Amy Smith of Fidelity Investments
remarked, "You know what also gets my attention? A well-crafted resume on
nice, crisp, heavy Cranes stationery. I know, I know...scanners and faxes
and email (oh my!) are easier and faster, but there's something about the
weight and feel of good stationery...."

Once a resume is scanned, faxed, or emailed, Tom Obenchain, Technical
Communications Lead at MCI Telecommunications looks for:
ú Industry experience and some familiarity with his industry's users.
ú General level of writing experience that can be verified through writing
samples and during the interview.
ú Experience with particular tools. Experience with a particular tool was a
plus and not a requirement and a pet peeve of his was writers who try to
provide a longer list "of conquered software than any other applicant."
ú Structure and style of the resume. Obenchain noted that one way to counter
the effects of resumes prepared by agencies and to determine if applicants
have a basic sense of document design, is to ask them if they designed and
wrote their own resumes.

Other suggestions from the List included providing information about the
types of products you've written about and tailoring your resume to the
advertised position. Resumes are advertisements, not treatises, and should
be designed to pique the interest of a hiring manager. The purpose of a
resume is not to land you the job, but to get a personal interview.

One, Two, Three Typos You're Out

Generally, everyone agreed that typos in a resume or cover letter should
give a manager cause for concern. However, there was controversy over the
significance of a few "minor" typos in an otherwise excellent resume. Some
managers look for ways to whittle down the stack and a single typo is all
that's needed to justify a rejection. Other managers look for a particular
set of skills or experiences and one or two minor typos do not necessarily
eliminate an otherwise worthy candidate.

John Gough was on the side of those who looked at typos in the context of
the rest of the resume. He stated, "I have always wondered if the
'1-typo-they're out' types even perceive these other priorities, let alone
balance them." He went on to say that many of the resumes he sees are poorly
designed, lack clarity, and are wordy. If the other qualities of a resume
meet his requirements, " I'll likely cut you some slack. If I don't find any
typos, so much the better."

Jim Purcell pointed out why this subject was receiving so much attention."
It isn't about resumes; it's about the nature of our profession. There seem
to be two camps....On one side are people who believe that "grammar and
spelling" are the heart of technical writing. On the other are those who
believe that grammar and spelling, while important, are only a means to an
end."

Send email requests to reproduce this article to
CKYLE%eis_international -at- mcimail -dot- com -dot-