Tracking bugs

Subject: Tracking bugs
From: geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 1997 14:05:06 -0600

I'm helping our developers during the beta testing of our
first software release. The documentation process is in
pretty good shape for an _ad hoc_ effort, but the beta test
itself is going to be a bit chaotic. (Who knew? <grin>) I'm
currently building a contacts database to let me keep track
of who has the software, but I'd like to incorporate
information that will help the developers hunt down any
bugs. I'm including the following information to begin
with:
- software version number
- operating system version (Win3.1, Win3.11, Win95 plus
revision date, if any)
- cpu (386, 386-clone, 486, 486-clone, Pentium,
Pentium-clone)
- amount of memory (RAM)
- list of all other software that's running at the same
time as our software (i.e., potential conflicts!)
- a description of the behavior that led up to the bug, and
what happened when the bug occurred (e.g., error message
number, GPF, etc.)

We'll be having a brainstorming session to see what other
information they could use, but do you have any other
suggestions for information that could help them find and
squish bugs? Please copy your response to me; I'll
summarize to the list if I get enough responses.