Salary Requirements

Subject: Salary Requirements
From: Michael Clark <mclark -at- MTU -dot- EDU>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 1997 12:44:15 -0400

G'day all,

I'm applying for a job as a technical writer at a software firm in
southern Wisconsin, and as a new fish in the market, I'm having a
difficult time trying to determine an appropriate "salary requirement."
I thought you might be able to give me an idea.

Here's what I think is most relevant to my situation:
* I'll have a MS degree in Technical Communication in a few weeks
* I have ample experience with all the hardware and software this
company's writers use.
* I've got a year's experience as a technical writer with the
Information Technology group here on campus.
* My MS project is a 35 page manual which I've written and tested
over the last three terms.
* This term I'm working as a co-editor on an anthology of
literary non-fiction
* I've also got a year of experience teaching English Composition
* I've been a computer lab consultant at the last three schools
I've attended, and am the Consultant In Training Coordinator at
my present school, for whatever that's worth.

Can anybody speculate on a reasonable (ballpark) salary requirement? If
there are any hiring-types out there, I'm also interested in knowing how
companies figure out what they're willing to pay.

Thanks,
Mike