Tech Writer Levels and Responsibilities

Subject: Tech Writer Levels and Responsibilities
From: Sean O'Neil <soneil -at- CCMAIL -dot- CROSSCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 1997 12:39:49 EST

Hi,

Can anyone direct me to information about varying skill levels and
requirements that differentiate between tech writers, senior tech
writers, principal tech writers and managing tech writers?

For example, are there general skill levels and job responsibilities
that a senior tech writer must meet to be promoted to a principal tech
writer? How do responsibilities change when the writer becomes a
principal writer?

I know these things vary widely between companies, but we're looking
for generic information from which we can update our job descriptions.
I'm hoping to find a public domain document with guidelines and/or
standards on this subject.

Thanks in advance,
Sean O'Neil