Re[2]: Tech Writer Levels and Responsibilities

Subject: Re[2]: Tech Writer Levels and Responsibilities
From: Sean O'Neil <soneil -at- CCMAIL -dot- CROSSCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 1997 11:10:22 EST

There's a placement firm in MA who has done salary surveys. The
surveys are fairly comprehensive. Their web page is www.clearpnt.com;
I don't think the survey is on the page but contacts are.

Regarding guidelines, see the response from droberts. I was hoping the
STC or someone had something published on the topic.

Regards

Subject: Re: Tech Writer Levels and Responsibilities
Author: k -dot- laneuville -at- hill -dot- com at inet
Date: 4/8/97 7:45 AM

Hi Sean,

Could you also fill me in on any information you come up with. I'm also
interested in copy editor and proofreader descriptions along with salary
ranges for those positions and technical editors.

Thanks a bunch.

Kara
k -dot- laneuville -at- hill -dot- com

Subject: Tech Writer Levels and Responsibilities
Author: Sean O'Neil <soneil -at- CCMAIL -dot- CROSSCOMM -dot- COM> at Internet
Date: 4/7/97 11:45 AM

Hi,

Can anyone direct me to information about varying skill levels and
requirements that differentiate between tech writers, senior tech
writers, principal tech writers and managing tech writers?

For example, are there general skill levels and job responsibilities
that a senior tech writer must meet to be promoted to a principal tech
writer? How do responsibilities change when the writer becomes a
principal writer?

I know these things vary widely between companies, but we're looking
for generic information from which we can update our job descriptions.
I'm hoping to find a public domain document with guidelines and/or
standards on this subject.

Thanks in advance,
Sean O'Neil