Re: Mouse button nomenclature

Subject: Re: Mouse button nomenclature
From: "Ridder, Fred" <ridderf -at- DIALOGIC -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 14:39:19 -0400

I received several private responses to my posting about
primary/secondary
vs. right/left labeling for mouse buttons. I had stated that I _thought_
primary/secondary was the standard Microsoft usage, but it turns out I
was
mistaken on this point. Apologies to all for any confusion.

But I was relieved to find that I had not, in fact, hallucinated about
having seen this usage. On my very own PC, there are several references
in the on-line help to primary/secondary relating to clicking, but I
realize now that these are not the standard Windows95 help files.
You see, my PC is a Toshiba laptop which has one of those odd little
pointing buttons smack in the middle of the keyboard. The "mouse
buttons"
are a pair of concentric arcs just below the keyboard, and since these
buttons are one above the other any references to left/right in the help
files are rendered nonsensical. Toshiba apparently went to a lot of
trouble to modify the on-line help to the primary/secondary labels in
the interest of usability.

Fred Ridder
f -dot- ridder -at- dialogic -dot- com