PageMaker for long docs

Subject: PageMaker for long docs
From: AlumsHubby -at- AOL -dot- COM
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 12:35:24 -0400

At my last workplace, I advocated we stop developing new docs in PM and
switch to Frame because of the latter's superior handling of long documents
-- especially anchors for page references. Up to that point, we'd done all
our manuals in PM, including a 750+ -page monster.

When we were still considering making the switch, I searched in vain for some
kind of utility to automagically translate PM 5.0 documents to ... is it
Frame 5? Can't remember for sure. Of course, there was none such and
probably isn't to date. (Building a conversion utility would probably have
been an interesting exercise, especially in C on the Macintosh -- a
programming project only a technical writer could love.) At that time
(spring '96), Adobe tech-support people I spoke with said that no such
facility was available or planned, but one of 'em did agree that such an
add-on would be a boon for pubs depts making the transition.

Thx for listening to me maunder...

Bill McClain (AlumsHubby -at- aol -dot- com)