Re: Re[2]: Other Style Guides

Subject: Re: Re[2]: Other Style Guides
From: "Wayne J. Douglass" <wayned -at- VERITY -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 1997 09:41:24 -0700

At 08:54 AM 4/18/97 -0500, Kathleen Padova wrote:

>Thanks to everyone recommending style guides and reference books. I
>think I've made several valuable additions to my collection. Sad to
>say, my text books from college are doing their part by raising my
>monitor up to eye level.

This thread has indeed been valuable. I would add Richard Saul Wurman's
_Information Anxiety_ to the list, not because it is especially pragmatic,
but because it discusses the broader issues of how to present and organize
information. Wurman's focus is organizing reference maerial (he designs
travel guides and the Smart Yellow Pages), but his ideas are always
provocative and to my mind valuable.

I looked forward to _Follow the Yellow Brick Road_, his follow-up book on
writing good instructions, but I was disappointed. It was merely a bloated
version of the good comments he made in one chapter of _Information Anxiety_.

--Wayne Douglass