Re: A contracting season?

Subject: Re: A contracting season?
From: Melonie Holliman <mrh -at- ABMDATA -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 1997 07:53:25 +0000

Howdy, Yall:

Sella Rush claims...

> Dave Brinegar mentions (twice) the "Spring contract techwriter's season"
>
> Is this a real phenomenon? If so, why? Does it exist across the board
> or just in some geographical areas or some industries? What constitutes
> "spring"--February to June? (When I go independent in a couple of
> years, it would be just like my luck to decide to take the plunge in
> September!)

When my boss left me a voicemail informing me that my already heavy
workload would soon be tripling, I decided to leave my company very
soon. That was October. I did not want to leave them in a rut, so
I gave them 5 weeks notice. BIG MISTAKE! Not just because they used
the heck out of me during that time, but because I missed the last
of the year's contracts. Out of pure luck, I finally found a contract
the second week of December. Otherwise, I might have been waiting
until late January.

I had no trouble finding a contract when that one ran out in March.
However, when the next one ran out in September, I found it hard to
find another, again.

If I ever decided to go back to contracting, I would make sure I
started in the Spring with a contract that did not end between
September and December.

Melonie Holliman
The Technical Writer
ABM Data Systems, Inc.